Review: Look At Me.



                     


Title: Look At Me by Mareike Krügel
Pages: 288
Rating: 3.5 stars
Verdict: Definitely worth checking out.

Every once in a while I come across a book like this one which actually has respect for my poor heart. A book which I can just lie back in bed, coffee cup on the other hand and just relax. Unlike the books I read which are so fast paced my heart races in tune with my vivid imagination this book had me relaxed.


I could actually focus on every word I was reading. The whole book is centered around Katharina our main character. She is a wife to Costas, who is only home during the weekends and a mother to Alex and Helli. She also teaches a music class for little kids.


If you are a mother you will identify a lot with Katharina. If you are not, let's just say that you will appreciate your own so much more after reading this. Katharina is a superwoman of some kind. All in a day she manages to: deal with her daughter who might actually have ADHD, help a neighbor look for his missing thumb, meet her son's new girlfriend and for a moment there almost have an affair.


All this happens in between her numerous chores and did I mention that something feels like a lump on her breast. So yeah she is also dealing with the fact that she is possibly dying slowly.


Look at Me is a realistic depiction of the lives of many men and women. People who at some point feel like people have stopped seeing them and they just want you to LOOK AT THEM! for one damn moment. It depicts that period in life when couples drift apart, your children don't seem to need you anymore and life passes you by and you start to wonder, is this really it?

Through every turn of the page you can feel the frustration, despair and loneliness that Katharina is experiencing. You can't help but empathise.

That ending was not what I was expecting at all. I really wanted an answer but it was all philosophical and deep and you can't fault an ending like that.


****I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts