Review: Children of Blood and Bone





Children Of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
Pages:
Rating: 4.5 stars
Verdict: definitely worth the hype.

“Safe ended a long time ago”

Wow! This was better than I would have ever expected. Sure I had read reviews of people who had really liked this but there were others who had hated this with just as much fervor. For me this was super great and I will give reasons why.

# Diversity Book
If you are looking for a diversity book to add to your tbr list please pick this one. It is one of a kind. I don’t know about you but I have never read a YA fantasy with all black characters. This fantasy world is based on actual towns in Nigeria for example Lagos and the magical language of the Maji is Yoruba. How cool is that?

#Strong female lead
There are a couple of characters who drive the plot of the story but the one at the center of everything is Zélie. She is the one chosen by the gods to bring back magic. She is a kickass heroin without being over the top. You can actually relate to her anger, her fears and her actions. She is far from perfect but that is what makes her so good. Have I mentioned that she is a reaper? Amari is not too bad. Yeah she was
super annoying at the beginning but she turned out to be great in the end.

#Magic
If you love magic then this book is for you. The world building is believable. No confusion here as the author introduces you to this world. There are spells, magical artifacts and incantations. I didn’t know what the spells even meant but they were still awesome to have in the book.

#Great plot
Every good book must have a great plot. Surprisingly most books today don’t even have one. The plot in
this one was to bring back magic while avoiding getting killed.

#Super easy names
So I know some of you will go like huh! But c’mon guys I can’t be the only one annoyed by those long names you can’t pronounce which are common in fantasy books the characters here are Amari, Zélie, Inan Tzain and King Saran. Names you can actually pronounce when you are fangirling to your friends.

#The ending
OMG the last quarter had so much action going on I could barely keep up. I was leaning forward in anticipation my nose was almost touching my tablet’s screen.

So there you have it. A couple of reasons why you should read this. Just to be clear I am not saying that
this was all perfection. For one, the book was longer than necessary. It was also repetitive to the point of been annoying. A quarter of this book could have easily been done away with and the results would have been the same.

By the way I totally ship Zélie and Roën, OYA can take Inan for all I care.

Comments

Popular Posts